Five Broken Cameras
Emad Burnat&Guy Davidi / Palestine & Israel
When his son Gibreel is born, Emad, a Palestinian villager, gets his first camera. In his village - Bil'in, a separation barrier is being built on the villagers' lands, which the villagers begin to resist. Throughout the years Emad films the struggle lead by two of his friends while also filming life with his son growing. Very soon this struggle affects his life. Daily arrests and night raids scare his family; his friends, brothers and even Emad are either shot or arrested. One camera after another is shot or smashed. And with each camera a part of Emad's story unfolds.
•The Audience Award at the IFI Stranger Than Fiction Dublin Documentary Festiva.
• Best Picture in The Traverse City Film Festival 2012 - (USA)
• Best documentary in the Jerusalem Film Festival 2012
• Best documentary in Durban International Film Festival 2012 (S.A.)
• The Grand Jury Award at Open City Docs Fest 2012.
• Sundance World Documentary Directing Award 2012.
• IDFA - Special Jury Mention & Audience Award 2011.
• Cinéma du Réel – Prix Louis-Marcorelles
• Tempo Film Festival (Stockholm)-The Stephan Jarl Documentary Award.
• One World Human Rights Film Festival (Prague) - The Best Director Award.
• Movies That Matter (The Hague) - The Golden Butterfly Award: A Matter of Act Competition & The Students' Choice Award.
5 Broken Cameras also won the best project award at the Greenhouse 2009 pitching forum and received a 15,000$ Development Grant from Claire Aguilar Vice President of Programming at ITVS.
Grants & Support:
Selected for the Summer School of the Jan Vrijman Fund August 2010. The filmmakers have been selected to participate in the Editing Consultancy training.
- Jan Vrijman Fund (IDFA) | Production Grant
- New Israeli Foundation for Cinema & Television | Production Grant
- Grant from the Asian Cinema Fund in the Asian Network of Documentary Fund Category. Burnat travels to Korea to take part in a seminar.
- Ikon TV – the Netherlands
- YLE - Finland
- Alter - Cine CAD – Canada
- CBA Worldview UK
- France Television
- Channel 8 -Israel
- The film is co-produced by Serge Gordey at Alegria Productions.
- New Directors / New Films (New York)
- Hot Docs Film Festival (Canada)
- Sheffield Doc/Fest
- Open City London Documentary Festival
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival London – Special Festival Benefit
- Thessaloniki Documentary Film Festival
- Film Middle East Now Festival (Florence)
- Open Doek Film Festival (Belgium)
- Doc Point - Helsinki
- Ambulante Film Festival (Mexico)
- FilmFest DC (Washington DC)
- Boulder Film Festival
- Planete Doc Film Festival (Poland)
- DOXA Documentary Film Festival (Canada)