Five Broken Cameras
Emad Burnat, Guy Davidi / Palestine & Israel, 2012
When his son Gibreel is born, Emad, a Palestinian villager, gets his first camera. In his village - Bil'in, a separation barrier is being built on the villagers' lands, which the villagers begin to resist. Throughout the years Emad films the struggle lead by two of his friends while also filming life with his son growing. Very soon this struggle affects his life. Daily arrests and night raids scare his family; his friends, brothers and even Emad are either shot or arrested. One camera after another is shot or smashed. And with each camera a part of Emad's story unfolds.
Five Broken Cameras also won the best project award at the Greenhouse 2009 pitching forum and received a 15,000$ Development Grant from Claire Aguilar Vice President of Programming at ITVS.
Five Broken Cameras won the 2013 Emmy Award and was nominated for Best Documentary at the 2012 Academy Awards.
- IDFA - Special Jury Mention & Audience Award, 2011.
- Sundance World Documentary, Directing Award, 2012.
- Best Picture in The Traverse City Film Festival, 2012, USA.
- Best Documentary at the Jerusalem Film Festival, 2012.
- Best Documentary at the Durban International Film Festival, South Africa, 2012.
- The Grand Jury Award at Open City Docs Fest, 2012..
- The Audience Award at the IFI Stranger Than Fiction Dublin Documentary Festival, 2012.
- Prix Louis-Marcorelles at Cinéma du Réel, 2011.
- Tempo Film Festival (Stockholm)-The Stephan Jar, Documentary Award, 2012.
- One World Human Rights Film Festival (Prague) - The Best Director Award, 2012.
- Movies That Matter (The Hague) - The Golden Butterfly Award: A Matter of Act Competition & The Students' Choice Award, 2012.
Grants & Support:
- Jan Vrijman Fund (IDFA) | Production Grant - the filmmakers were also selected to participate in the Editing Consultancy training.
- New Israeli Foundation for Cinema & Television | Production Grant
- Grant from the Asian Cinema Fund in the Asian Network of Documentary Fund Category. Burnat travels to Korea to take part in a seminar.
- Ikon TV – the Netherlands
- YLE - Finland
- Alter - Cine CAD – Canada
- CBA Worldview UK
- France Television
- Channel 8 – Israel
- Alegria Productions – Serge Gordey
- New Directors / New Films (New York)
- Hot Docs Film Festival (Canada)
- Sheffield Doc/Fest
- Open City London Documentary Festival
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival London – Special Festival Benefit
- Thessaloniki Documentary Film Festival
- Film Middle East Now Festival (Florence)
- Open Doek Film Festival (Belgium)
- Doc Point - Helsinki
- Ambulante Film Festival (Mexico)
- FilmFest DC (Washington DC)
- Boulder Film Festival
- Planete Doc Film Festival (Poland)
- DOXA Documentary Film Festival (Canada)